Wednesday, December 21, 2011

{A Few of My Favorite Things} - Christmas Food!

Over the last week, it seems that everyday when I've come into work, there has been a different sweet treat awaiting us...peanut butter balls, fudge, red velvet cake, cookies, peanut brittle...the list goes on!  Something about this season seems to bring out the baker in everyone!  In fact, just tonight my daughter and I baked our first gingerbread house...not that we haven't decorated one before...it's just that in the past we always just bought the gingerbread house kits, where the gingerbread is pre-made.  But this year, we bought a gingerbread mix and, using a pan I bought on clearance after Christmas last year, we made a giant gingerbread cookie in the shape of a house.  It turned out fantastic and I think we've started a new tradition!


Christmas just doesn't seem complete without the sweet treats and overeating!  :)  Here are a few of my favorite Christmas foods:

Oreo Balls.  If you haven't discovered these balls of yummy, Oreo goodness, you are truly missing out!  They are fairly easy (once you have managed to finely crush the Oreos) - all it takes is 1 package of Oreos, 8 oz. of cream cheese, and chocolate bark (I prefer white myself).  Mix the finely crushed Oreos and cream cheese well and form into small balls.  Refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or if you're in a rush, as I usually am, pop them in the freezer for about 15 minutes).  Melt your chocolate bark and then, using a toothpick, dip the balls into the chocolate and place on wax paper to harden.  Or if you want to really impress people, use some decorative sugar or sprinkles to top them before the chocolate hardens.  Everyone I know seriously loves these and one batch makes quite a bit - makes for great gifts!

Christmas Tree Cakes.  Am I the only one out there that loves, and even looks forward to, Little Debbie's Christmas Tree Cakes?  They aren't homemade by any means, but I just LOVE these things.  Normally junk food is off limits in my house...my theory is that if I buy it, I will eat it so I just don't buy junk food.  But once a year, I make an exception with these little guys.  I don't know what it is about the creme-filled cakes and the green sugar granules, but I really can't resist them!
image via Google images 

Sausage Balls.  Another easy favorite, these disappear quickly at our family's annual Christmas Eve gathering.  All you need is a roll of sausage, a package of sharp cheddar cheese, and 3 cups of Bisquick.  Mix all ingredients together and roll into balls.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until browned.  They are good anytime but they are definitely best when served warm!

My Mom's Grit Casserole.  If you read my Thanksgiving post, you know that I was really looking forward to my mom's grit casserole at Thanksgiving...and I was let down!  As soon as I walked in the door to my parent's house, my mom made her confession to me - she had failed to make my favorite dish!  But she promised to pull through for Christmas so I'm anxiously awaiting our feast!  I realize that many people don't care for grits - either because of the texture or the bland taste.  But I'm telling you, grit casserole is pretty amazing and just might win you over if it's fixed just right!  I'm a Southern girl at heart and was raised on grits so I wouldn't know what it's like to not enjoy them!  Mom's casserole recipe is as follows:

Ingredients:
6-8 servings grits, cooked
1 stick butter or margarine
2 eggs
1 (6 oz) roll of Kraft garlic cheese (which happens to be next-to-impossible to find...my mom now creates her own combination of garlic and cheese which I would share but I have yet to perfect myself!)
Approximately 1 cup of milk

Cook grits per directions on package.  Add butter and garlic cheese; let melt.  Blend thoroughly.  Break eggs into measuring cup; beat slightly.  Add milk.  Add mixture to grits.  Stir until smooth.  Pour into 9x13 dish.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until edges begin to brown slightly and crust forms. 

Let me know if you try any of my favorites this Christmas!  And please share your own favorites...'tis the season for baking! 

3 comments:

  1. I have NEVER tried grits! : ) The oreo and sausage balls on the other hand...YUMMY!!! Oh and I love the gingerbread house. Tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Blog! I thank God for you and your proficiency as a single mom. What a blessing!
    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum yum! I'm pretty sure you had a fun and filling Christmas :)

    Have a happy new year! Take care...

    ReplyDelete