Saturday, December 17, 2011

{A Few of My Favorite Things} - Christmas Songs

image via PhotoBucket


With only a week to go, the sights and sounds of Christmas are everywhere now.  And I can tell you that it's  no different at our house!  As soon as we wake in the morning, Libby or myself (although she usually beats me to it!) get straight to the Christmas tree to turn on the lights!  And anytime we are  home, I have our satellite tuned into the "Christmas Message" music station.  Nothing gets me quite in the spirit like the music does!  So here are a few of my faves:

Beautiful Star (by Emmylou Harris).  Definitely a country-Christmas-kind-of-song, this is one that I grew up listening to.  I have wonderful memories of our family decorating the house and traveling together with this song playing in the background.

Christmas Canon (by Trans Siberian Orchestra).  A beautiful mashup of two of my favorite stand-along songs, Carol of the Bells, and Pachelbel's Canon, it brings a sense of the beauty of the season through its melody.  My soul quiets whenever this song is played.

I'll Be Home for Christmas (by Amy Grant).  There are so many versions of this 1940s song, but this is my favorite thus far.  At times I feel tears coming to my eyes as I'm reminded of all the people who have family members that can't be home for Christmas.  As for me and Libby, well, "I'll be home for Christmas...you can plan on me."

O Holy Night (by Jackie Evancho).  Between the lyrics and the music of this song, it's hard not to be awed by any version.  I once made an attempt at this song myself at my church when I was in high school but 10 year old Evancho's version definitely puts mine to shame!  (YES, I said 10-years-old!!!)She reaches the high notes with a power that's hard to believe!

Angels We Have Heard on High (by Point of Grace).  This isn't your typical Angels We Have Heard on High.  While most of the lyrics are true to the church hymn, they have also added some to make this version of this song very unique and catchy.  The first time I heard it, I immediately purchased it from itunes...and maybe even played it on repeat for a while!

What songs are you tuning into to get into the Christmas spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment